Here’s the recipe for delicious vegan carrot muffins we made recently at the OrganicNation.tv headquarters. We ended up eating them for breakfast since they seemed so hearty and healthy. Happy Holidays!
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt or applesauce
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded apples
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Combine raisins and water in a small bowl. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain raisins, discard water and set raisins aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt or applesauce with ground flaxseed (this is your egg replacement), then add in coconut oil and brown sugar; mix well. Combine oil and sugar mixture and flour mixture; mix just until moistened. Fold in carrots, apples, coconut flakes and drained raisins. Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting.
- Optional: Frost with vanilla yogurt and sprinkle coconut flakes on top.