Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 11:37AM
Here's the recipe for delicious vegan carrot muffins we made recently at the OrganicNation.tv headquarters. We ended up eating them for breakfast since they seemed so hearty and healthy. Happy Holidays!
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt or applesauce
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded apples
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Combine raisins and water in a small bowl. Let soak for 15 minutes. Drain raisins, discard water and set raisins aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt or applesauce with ground flaxseed (this is your egg replacement), then add in coconut oil and brown sugar; mix well. Combine oil and sugar mixture and flour mixture; mix just until moistened. Fold in carrots, apples, coconut flakes and drained raisins. Spoon into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting.
- Optional: Frost with vanilla yogurt and sprinkle coconut flakes on top.